On the Water
Documentary feature / 2018.
|Editing||Vanja Siruček, Jan Klemsche|
|Sound design||Martin Semenčić|
|World distribution||Petnaesta umjetnost|
|Support||Hrvatski audiovizualni centar (HAVC), Grad Sisak|
A portrait of a former industrial town shown from the perspective of the river running through its centre. Today, the river is a space of relaxation and leisure. A closer look at the people spending their time along its banks lays bare all the social conflicts of a country in transition. The river uncovers the remnants of the past left lying in the water.
Year: / 2018 / Format: DCP / Duration: 79′ / color / Orig. Title: Na vodi
was born in Sisak, Croatia, in 1971. He studied law, archaeology and film art at Academy of Dramatic Art, University of Zagreb, Croatia. His filmography includes several documentaries and short films. Teaches documentary film at the Academy of Dramatic Arts. He is the author of award-winning documentary films: On The Water (2018), The Steel Mill Café (2017), 65+ (2016), Two Furnaces for Udarnik Josip Trojko (2012), Don Juan: Excuse Me, Miss (2010), The Flood (2010), Happy Land (2009), Three (2008), I Have Nothing Nice to Say to You (2005), Imported Crows (2004) and others. Film The Blacks (2009), which he codirected, was his feature film debut also woon grand prix Ljubljana Film Festival Slovenia 2009; grand prix Festival autorskog filma Serbia 2009; FIPRESCI award Cottbus Film Festival Germany 2009; special award for directing Cottbus Film Festival Germany 2009; Golden Arena for directing Pula Film Festival Croatia 2009;
Retrospectives of his documentaries were screened at Arsenal Berlin, Crossing Europe Filmfestival Linz.
Festivals and Awards
- International Festival for Documentary and Animated Film DOK Leipzig 2018 – Special Mention
- Free Zone Film Festival 2018
- Human Rights Film Festival 2018
- DocAviv – Telaviv 2019.
- Croatian Film Days 2019 – Best Cinematography (Damian Nenadić)
- International Film Festival UnderhillFest 2019 – Special Jury Mention
- Liburnia Film Festival 2019 – Best Directing (Goran Dević); Best Sound Design (Martin Semenčić)
- International Documentary and Short Film Festival DokuFest 2019 – Special Jury Mention
- DOKUart – Documentary Film Festival 2019
- Minsk International Film Festival 2019
- Eastern Neighbours Film Festival 2019
- Dokumentarni net 2019. Best Directing (Goran Dević), Best Camera (Damian Nenadić) i Best Editing (Vanja Siruček, Jan Klemsche)