The Steel Mill Café
Documentary feature / 2017.
|Sound design||Martin Semenčić|
|Support||Hrvatski audiovizualni centar (HAVC), Grad Sisak|
The documentary records café conversations of the owners a week before closing the café for good.
Erna and Dževad own a bus stop bar by the entrance to once one of the largest ironworks in Eastern Europe.
The ‘pub talks’ filmed by observation technique the last week before the bar’s final closure reveal former socialist labourers’ new utopia – how to get hold of Germany, the only remaining paradise on earth.
Year: 2017. / Format: DCP / Duration: 61′ / color / Orig. Title: Buffet željezara
was born in Sisak, Croatia, in 1971. He studied law, archaeology and film art at Academy of Dramatic Art, University of Zagreb, Croatia. His filmography includes several documentaries and short films. Teaches documentary film at the Academy of Dramatic Arts. He is the author of award-winning documentary films: On The Water (2018), The Steel Mill Café (2017), 65+ (2016), Two Furnaces for Udarnik Josip Trojko (2012), Don Juan: Excuse Me, Miss (2010), The Flood (2010), Happy Land (2009), Three (2008), I Have Nothing Nice to Say to You (2005), Imported Crows (2004) and others. Film The Blacks (2009), which he codirected, was his feature film debut also woon grand prix Ljubljana Film Festival Slovenia 2009; grand prix Festival autorskog filma Serbia 2009; FIPRESCI award Cottbus Film Festival Germany 2009; special award for directing Cottbus Film Festival Germany 2009; Golden Arena for directing Pula Film Festival Croatia 2009;
Retrospectives of his documentaries were screened at Arsenal Berlin, Crossing Europe Filmfestival Linz.
Festivals and Awards
- ZagrebDox 2017 – Regional Competition
- DOKUFEST International Documentary and Short Film Festival 2017 – Winner of Balkan Documentary Competition
- Liburnia Film Festival 2017 – Best Director Award (Goran Dević)
- Mediteran Film Festival Široki Brijeg 2017
- Star Film Fest 2017
- Free Zone Film Festival 2017 – Best Socially Engaged Film in Regional Selection
- Pravo Ljudski Film Festival 2017
- Mostar Film Festival 2017
- Documentary film festival Fibula 2017 – The first award of the audience
- Panorama Europe 2018 New York
- Croatian Film Days 2018 – Grand Prix, Best directing (Goran Dević)
- Pančevo Film Festival 2018
- Divan film festival, Divan Romania, 2018
- États généraux du film documentaire de Lussas : Doc Route Yugoslavia Paris France August 20, 2018
- Frame Out Wiena Austria August 30, 2018